Sheila Rock was born in the USA and educated at Boston University and the London Film School.
She has lived and worked in London since 1970. She became an influential force shaping the look of creative magazines like The FACE magazine.
She has enjoyed a successful career crossing the full spectrum of genres, photographing for the entertainment and music industry, advertising and design agencies and periodicals.
Her editorial portrait and fashion work have appeared in numerous magazines, including Time Magazine, Elle, Glamour, German Vogue, Good Housekeeping, Architectural Digest and the Sunday Times.
She has photographed many celebrities including:
ACTORS – Kate Winslet, Rachel Weiss, Zoe Wannamaker, Colin Firth, Ricky Gervais.
OPERA SINGERS: Placido Domingo, Dame Kiri Takanawa, Angela Gheorghiu,
CELEBRITY CHEFS: Nigella Lawson, & Heston Blumenthal.
OLYMPIC ATHELETES: Steve Redgrave, Denise Lewis, Dame Kelly Holmes,.
CONDUCTORS: Sir Simon Rattle , Antonio Pappano, Daniel Barenboim
SINGERS: Bryan Ferry, Sade, Phil Collins, Debbie Harry, Sting, Paul Weller
Her Commercial clients have included:
French Connection, Clarks, EMI,Cacharel,BMW, Deutsche Grammaphon, Nestlè,Timotei
L’Oreal, Persil, Jiff, Panadol, Rowan,Romerquelle, Barilla, Laura Ashley, Swish Jeans, Northern Rock, Royal Bank of Scotland
Her book, Sera – the way of the Tibetan Monk – published in 2004, accompanied several exhibitions at The Photographers Gallery, London and the Palazzo Bricherasio Museum, Turin, Italy and The June Bateman Gallery, New York City.
Her second book, PUNK + is a document of the London 70s punk scene and was published in 2013 (FirstThirdBooks). Exhibitions followed in London, Paris and Berlin . In 2014, she had a touring exhibition of Punk in Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong kong and Singapore.
Her latest book, TOUGH & TENDER is a delicate and sensitive report from the English seaside and published in 2015 ( Kehrer Books). She also showed her Seascape portraits at the Johanna Breede Gallery in Berlin and at the Agnes B Gallery at Paris Photo.
Her portrait work forms part of the public collection at the National Portrait Gallery, London. Her images from the Sera series are in the permanent collection of the Polaroid Museum, USA and the William Benton Museum of Art in Connecticut, USA.
Ralph Lauren Polo own a number of her horse portraits worldwide.
She has been profiled in professional and popular photographic magazines and newspapers.
01. Evening Standard, Metro, England, 2003.
02. British Journal of Photography, England. October 2003
03. Black and White Photography, England. November 2003
04. Boston Globe Newspaper, USA. February 2004
05. B&W Magazine for Collectors of Fine Art Photography, USA. Issue 30. April 2004
06. Bloomsbury Review, April, 2004
07. Royal Photographic Society Journal, England. April 2004
08. Soprattutto Magazine, Italy. 2004
09. Polaroid International Photography Issue No.28. P Magazine, 2005
10. Wall Street Journal, 2007
11 Shots Magazine, USA. 2007
12. Art New England, USA. 2008
13. Profifoto Magazine, Germany. January, 2009
14. Brennpunkt, Magazine fur Fotografie, Berlin, Summer, 2010